Sunday, August 24, 2008

Finding Strength from Up Above


"Anxious mother!" are the two words that I would use to describe how I've been feeling this week. My faith at times seems so strong, so why would I be anxious when I know who is in charge? Well, this is something that has been a personal struggle for me, especially during medical emergencies or when there is a big life change. This week my little one was scheduled for an MRI of her brain and lumbar spine. She has been having frequent headaches and also is known for her "tippy toe" walking. Sedation was the word that was scaring me! Throughout the week, I tried my best to be positive, especially around little peanut. "You're going to take a little nap and get your picture taken." I would tell her. When we arrived at Children's Hospital, we went through the usual paperwork, and then I met my angel! The nurse who said,"Did they discuss having her watch a movie during the MRI?" I'm thinking-"How can she watch a movie, she is supposed to be sedated?" She continues to ask me if anyone discussed this option with me. I told her that I wasn't aware. She proceeded to inform me of the other option of her having an IV with four different medications and an oxygen mask. I looked at her to see what she thought about staying still for so long. "No pinchies, Momma," she pleaded. So, a movie it is!! I was thrilled, but also knew that she only had one try. She had to be willing to lay still in a strange place for a very long time. The nurses were wonderful and so patient with her. In order to view the movie, they taped on a mask type goggles and attached ear phones for her to hear. She also had a little microphone to talk to them through while she was in the MRI chamber. Next,they let her sit on the MRI table and watch the movie to help ease her own anxiety about going inside this strange machine. She looked at me with sad eyes and told me that she was feeling afraid. For a moment, it appeared as though she wasn't going to go in and she wiggled as though she wanted to get off of the table. I looked at her and asked her-"Who gives you strength, sweetie?" She looked back and said,"God, does." She then proceeded to lie down. I reassured her that I would be right beside her and hold her leg during the whole procedure. She did it!! Was I proud that day? Oh, yeah! My four year old relied on her Father in heaven for strength and was such a brave little girl. She didn't move in that machine for at least an hour and a half! Now that this is complete, we are now praying that the results will be positive ones- we are hoping that the headaches are allergy related and that the tippy toe walking is behavioral. Please pray for her that this will be the outcome. Many Blessings!

Philippians 4:6-7 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

The Breast Cancer Site