Sunday, September 28, 2008

Questions about Heaven

How confusing and abstract heaven must be for a four year old little mind! My youngest has been having fears and concerns about heaven, which surprised me. My grownup mind thinks of heaven as being this awesome, wonderful place so it didn't even occur to me that this would be an issue for one of my children. Especially when my older child never questioned heaven in such a way. I realized that she was having concerns when she told me, "I don't want to go to heaven, Mommy."
I said that I didn't understand because heaven is a wonderful place. And because we follow Jesus, we will live there forever together. She then went on to explain that she didn't want to die. Concerns about leaving her home and her bunny behind filled her little mind. It makes more sense to me know thinking about how children need a place of familiarity to feel secure. For a week or so, she let the subject go, but on the way to church this morning, she brought it up again. This time she asked if we stayed dead in heaven with our eyes closed. A smile came across her face as I shared with her how God will give her a new body and that she will walk around in heaven. She told me that she is glad because she wants to dance around and she also wants to hug Jesus.

Please share any resources that you may have that relate to teaching young children about heaven. I'll be sure to post any if I come across any good resources as well.

Blessings,

2 comments:

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Goodness, I don't have any but then I don't have children yet. I would call your pastor and ask. There must be some children's books dealing with heaven that s/he could lend you.

Blessings!
Lacy

Unknown said...

Jen,
Your little peanut brought up heaven to me on Wednesday. She told me that when we go to heaven that we will no longer to here on earth. I told her that when we get to heaven it will be like having a huge party there. She agreed and said that God will make sure she has lots of food. She is a sweetie.

The Breast Cancer Site