Friday, February 6, 2009

The Secret of Being Content

"Aw, now that refreshing," I say as I'm walking out the front door.

"Are you crazy?" responds my mailman, George.

I guess you could call me crazy, but there has been something about the cold air on my face that makes me feel so alive. Maybe it's due to the fact that I've been cooped up a lot these days with the cold weather, so when I do get out- I've been enjoying it. So while everyone else may be hoping for Spring, I've been living in the moment. I actually like the white glistening snow on the trees and watching inches and inches of snow fall in my yard.

This is probably the first winter that I've felt this way and oh how wonderful it is to feel content. Content with my circumstances, not wishing for Spring or Summer or Fall, but just living for the moment- enjoying the cold brisk air.

Yesterday, I met a friendly man and his small child who just moved into our country. He has only been in the country for 20 days and we were discussing how his family was adapting to the temperatures. In their country, temperatures reach 120 degrees. He smiled and shared with me that this was the first time in thirty years that he had ever seen snow. Excitedly, I pulled out the photos of our snow princess to share with his daughter. She couldn't speak English, but her father explained to her what was in the photo. Forgetful of the fact that there are others who have never experienced the beauty of snow, I embraced our cold temperatures.

If winter sticks around for a bit longer, I'll be okay. There is still fires that need to be lit in the fireplace, cocoa to be enjoyed, snowflakes to watch fall, and sleds to ride!

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:12,13 NIV

Many blessings to you,

Jen

1 comment:

Preschool Playbook said...

We have a family from Sweden on our street, and have the opposite situation. Her mother called the other day and said I see you guys are having beautiful weahter(temps in the teens here)! I thought that was funny. Enjoy your winter.

The Breast Cancer Site